Where, precisely, do you go in order to get permission to make a dent in the universe?Sure, making a dent in the universe may be a far-fetched ambition. But is that any reason to limit your ambitions to a smaller than universal scale?
For me, the answer is no.
On Friday night, after several (drinks and) lengthy discussions about this unique time, and opportunity, in Mongolia's development, a tough question was posed, by one of my friends and mentors who first presented me with this opportunity. He said:
"So, really...why are you here? What are you trying to do?"
When I got back to my room and checked my email, another Seth Godin post was waiting in my inbox. I looked at the time sent, and realized it must have been sent right in the middle of my conversation. It was titled, "Your dent."
Are you making a dent in the universe?
Hint: lots of random pokes in many different spots are unlikely to leave much of an impact. And hiding out is surely not going to work at all.
My reaction was a resounding, "This is definitely not a coincidence."
So, what's the answer to the question? Why did I come to Mongolia? At the very least, I know there is a reason that this opportunity came to me...but, (this may be surprising and maybe a little dismaying), I don't have a fully-baked answer to the "why are you here" question, yet.
I think when you're facing a situation that is as compelling, challenging, and challenging as this one, it's ok to let that answers form as you jump right into the work.
More on this to come...and if you're a master facilitator at helping others' tap into their thinking, I'm all yours on this one!
I think when you're facing a situation that is as compelling, challenging, and challenging as this one, it's ok to let that answers form as you jump right into the work.
More on this to come...and if you're a master facilitator at helping others' tap into their thinking, I'm all yours on this one!
No comments:
Post a Comment