Saturday, July 7, 2012

Celebrating the USA: July 4th in Mongolia

For most of my life, I've spent the July 4 holiday on Keuka Lake, surrounded by family, fireworks, and red, white and blue. This wasn't the first year that I was away from home on my favorite of the American holidays, but as July 4 approached this year, I became increasingly aware of my solitary stature as one of the few Americans working with the company in Mongolia. I spent one night feeling sorry for myself, and the next morning, turned the homesickness into creative action.

What better way to celebrate July 4 in a foreign country than by getting a custom-made cake of the American flag, to share with the masses at the end of a long work day?

Two Mongolian colleagues, Uka and Bolor, were instrumental in making this American-flag-cake dream a reality. My enthusiasm may have been infectious, but more likely, Uka and Bolor related to the sense of national pride I felt as July 4th approached.

Uka and Bolor helped orchestrate the fun and deliciousness: On July 3rd, we went to the cake shop in Ulaanbaatar. Uka helped articulate the particulars of my request (i.e., 13 stripes, 50 stars, giant cake) and a box big enough to fit it, which was also custom-made, by taping two boxes together. On July 4th at 6pm, around 50 people gathered (mostly Mongolians and Australians) to enjoy my cake. The cake was as delicious as it looks, and I was very, very happy to share the holiday with everyone here.





Lucky for me, another American had decided to throw a party on July 4 evening, for which I had another special cake made, of course! Kristi, my fellow July 4th fanatic, outdid herself by bringing sparklers to the party, having an American flag fruit "cake" made, and welcoming Peace Corps Volunteers to the celebration.

All in all, it was a good 4th of July in Mongolia that made me proud to be an American!


No comments: