Yesterday was one of those days that I just let the wind blow me from one great thing to the next. In the morning, I visited the Loberia, an isolated beach on San Cristobal Island where there's a rather large sea lion colony (obviously I loved it there). I spent an hour watching baby sea lions nurse from their mothers, attempt to swim in the surf, and play together along the volcanic rocks gathered on the beach.
Here I am with my sea lion friends |
Around noon, I headed back to port to meet up with some local Galapaguaens to go snorkeling in Tijeretas, a cove on the southern part of the island. Armed with only a snorkel, mask and some fins (one of which ended up being broken..) I jumped into the cool water for about an hour of snorkeling in that beautiful cove. With the exception of sea lions lounging on rocks above the cove, all we really saw were fish (not much compared to all that I've been seeing in the water lately) but it was great nonetheless. After about 45 minutes, I felt the water starting to chill my body and decided it was time to get out. I had a spectacular look at Kicker Rock (pictured in an earlier post) and walked back to port again.
Feeling afternoon hunger tug at my stomach, I headed to a local cafe for some ice cream. There, I ran into another volunteer and two other locals who asked me within seconds if I wanted to 'go fishing and watch the sunset for free in five minutes.' A little confused, I asked if they were serious. They pointed to a boat approaching the pier and asked if my ice cream sandwich and I wanted to come. Slightly surprised at my flexibility and 'seizure of the day', (or rather the evening) I said 'Sure!' and hopped on board. We spent two hours out on the water, slowly circling the Five Fingers as two guys fished for albacore tuna and I watched the sun slowly sink toward the horizon.
No comments:
Post a Comment